Thursday, June 25, 2015

On the Confederate Flag

First of all, I don't like the Confederate Flag.  I don't like the South's role in the Civil War, which was fought over one issue, and one issue only: slavery.  I don't think it should be raised on the grounds of the state capitol of any state, and I don't think the South's role in the conflict should be honored or glorified.

That said, I abhor the sudden silencing of those who wish to display such items as the Confederate flag, Confederate memorabilia, or any other image that evokes the Southern Cause. 

It's only abhorrent speech that the first amendment protects.  If you agree with me 100%, I'm going to support your speech, obviously.  But if you vehemently disagree with me, I must also support your right to free speech.

Political correctness rears it's ugly head yet again.  Those on the left can't seem to understand that one day, their speech may be unpopular, and restricted.  Then, of course, they will squirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment